At Laurentian Hills Christian School, we strive to offer quality service to each member of the community and to always provide that service in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. LHCS is committed to open communication and to ensuring that persons with disabilities have equal opportunity access. This commitment means that we do our best to achieve service excellence for everyone who visits our school or attends our school functions, including people with disabilities.
Availability of Accessible Customer Service Documents
LHCS makes this document available to the public by:
- Posting its accessibility measures in an accessibility section of the website
- Providing copies of the accessibility policies, practices, procedures for distribution at the office
- Producing the documents in large print or other formats, upon request
LHCS reviews its accessibility policies, practices and procedures on an ongoing basis and makes adjustments when necessary.
Any LHCS accessibility policy, practice or procedure that does not respect the needs of persons with disabilities is modified or revoked.
LHCS communicates with its clients with disabilities in a variety of ways. For example, LHCS receives and responds to enquiries in person, on the telephone and through email. As well, LHCS provides information through the Accessibility section on the LHCS website.
Individuals requiring the assistance of a support person are permitted to do so. Support persons are allowed on any part of LHCS’s premises that are open to the public or other third parties. At no time will a person with a disability be prevented from having access to his/her support person while on such premises.
LHCS does not charge any admission fees to school events that would apply to support persons.
LHCS welcomes individuals using guide dogs or service animals. Service animals are allowed on any part of LHCS’s premises that are open to the public or other third parties (except where otherwise prohibited by law).
LHCS welcomes feedback regarding the Accessible Customer Service policy, practices and procedures. The Accessibility section of the LHCS website includes a feedback area with a ‘comments box’ so that suggestions or concerns regarding LHCS’s service delivery. As well, LHCS welcomes any feedback regarding its accessibility policies, practices and procedures by e-mail, phone or in person.
LHCS encourages persons with disabilities to use assistive devices while interacting with LHCS. LHCS maximizes the services it provides by offering:
- the accessibility section of its website formatted to be easily interpreted using screen reader software
- barrier-free washrooms on both floors
- barrier-free classrooms, resource and computer centre
- lift access to both floors
- curb cuts and ramps
- designated handicapped parking spots
LHCS has a section on its website that provides notices about any temporary disruptions in services (e.g., accessible washroom, lift access, disabled parking, school closure etc.).
LHCS is committed to ensuring that employees with regular interaction with the public have the skills and knowledge to deliver customer service to persons with disabilities with sensitivity and respect. These LHCS employees receive a training session which includes the following topics:
- a review of the purpose of the AODA and the requirements of Regulation 429/07, Accessibility Standards for Customer Service
- how to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disability
- how to interact with persons with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a guide dog or other service animal or the assistance of a support person
- how to use equipment or devices available on LHCS premises which may help with the provision of goods or services to a person with a disability
- what to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing the services LHCS provides
LHCS employees will be updated on an ongoing basis about any changes to these policies, practices and procedures, and any future compliance activities for this and the other regulations introduced under the AODA.
Please visit our contact page for complete contact information, including email, address, office hours, phone, and fax.